Sunday, February 21, 2010

WE ARE ART.... VS..... SCIENCE!


While spending a semester in Australia, I was exposed to so many great artists - great artists who, for whatever reason, haven't made it big in America (yet). I'll probably write on each of them, because even now, a year later, I'm still obsessed with many of these bands.
For now, though, I'd like to talk about one of the coolest Aussie bands ever - ART VS. SCIENCE. I was fortunate enough to see them live twice, once at my college's informal (where I got to hang out with them before their show; they were pretty legit) and again at Splendour in the Grass, a huge music festival up in Byron Bay.

These guys are awesome - they're different* than any other band I've ever heard. Their sound is kinda weird** and eclectic (is that a spaceship landing?*** nah, just A v. S); they take electronic to a whole new level. Definitely cool. Not to mention, these guys put on THE BEST show ever. At their shows, the crowd gets SO into the music, even if they don't know the songs being performing! Seriously: one of the most fun shows I've ever been to. Both times I saw them. True story.

* Yes the first time you hear them you'll think "....ummm, what is this?"
** Even the second, third time you listen, you may still be saying, "??????"... normal.
*** Soon you will come to know and love this distinctive sound as an indication that an ART VS SCIENCE song is being played! Which means rage rage rage!
PS Whenever these guys play, they bring their signature inflatable penguins on stage with them and then throw them into the crowd. The penguins then proceed to crowd surf. sa-weeeeeet.
PPS: Hanging out with the band in the bathroom? Score!

"Flippers" - Art Vs. Science
"Parlez Vous Francais" - Art Vs. Science
Live vid of Art Vs Science at Splendour - Boom Shake the Room
*I was up at the front by the stage - sooo awesome
Live vid of Art Vs Science at Splendour - Parlez Vous Francais?
*extra credit to whoever knows what these song's lyrics translate to (so great)

No comments:

Post a Comment